Tuesday, September 1, 2009

My first DIY Retightening :-)

Hey fam,

I know it's been a while since I've posted. In my defense I guess I'll say that I haven't been motivated lately. Anyhoo, this post is about me taking the retightening class today and what will follow. I am naturally a diy type person and I think it has a lot to do with my personality. I have always been a quiet, reserved person who would rather learn how to do something myself then ask people for help. I know that's not always a good thing, but whatever. The way this economy is these days I can't afford to spend money on anything that's not a necessity. And while I take great pride in my appearance, these days getting my hair retightened is just not a necessity. Especially when I'm not working and my husband and I are living on a single income. Well enough of that. The point is that for me learning to retighten my own hair seems to have more pros than cons...at least for right now.

At 5:00pm today I went to my consultants shop and she briefly explained a few things to me. She gave me a kit and then let me do two practice locks. She asked if I had any questions and sent me on my way. Now the whole time she's talking she kept saying that it would get easier the more I do it. So when it was over, I was sitting there like..."that's it?" She said that I could always call her with any questions, but that still didn't ease my mind. I'm like "wow I just paid $250.00 for that?" But once I got home and started doing some I did realize that it's one of those things where you learn best from doing hands on. I actually got a good section in the back done in about three hours. I will work on it on and off tomorrow and the rest of the week. Hopefully I will be done before the weekend so I won't have half my head looking a hot mess. I must say it doesn't seem as overwhelming as I thought it would be leaving her shop today. So to all the DIYers...I salute you. And hopefully I can become a self-maintenance girl. We'll see how it goes (crossing fingers). I've included some pictures that show my progress so far. I'll post again as soon as I finish. Til next time babies!

Tee

7 comments:

anthia-ofo said...

congrats on your 1st DIY. I confess I couldn't bring myself to part with £250 here (UK) to learn what's more or less 'interlocking' freely available on the net. Even my consultant told me it wasn't rocket science. So I'm one of those SLS DIY-ers who simply took matters into their own hands LOL

Starshadow said...

I can relate to your, "That's it" sentiment with regard to the $250 retightening class. But I needed the reassurance that I was doing it correctly and would not be harming my Sisterlock investment of time and $$$$

Starshadow

Anonymous said...

I too am I Sisterlocked chick trying to find a way to DIY retightening but I can't seem to find any videos or outlets online to explain. You said you just asked you consult, and she explain it to you? Because mine is super secretive, I guess she doesn't want to loose my business. I bought a NappyTool but I can't find anything online about DIY retightening, suggestions?

Tee said...

Nacole,

I think all the sisterlock consultants are pretty much secretive. Some of them are certified to teach the retightening class and they only give you information once you pay that fee for the class. And even then it's very limited information. Everyone has a different pattern for your locks depending on your texture and what your consultant thought would be best for you at the time. I could tell you the pattern I use but it might not be much help if she used a different pattern on your hair. Basically that's what you're paying for: to learn your pattern and to get the tool. You won't really learn to do it until you get hands on a few times. Coming up will be my third retightening and it seems to be getting easier. If you go to youtube there's some people on there who have retightening videos. I subscribed to a girl named DynamicRunner who does her locks with a NappyTool. She talks more about patterns and stuff. Hope this helps :-)

Tee

foxydiva said...

Good to hear from you!! I was wondering how you were doing as hadn't seen anything from you in a while and I always worry about my fellow lupies once it starts getting cold out and the germs start spreading. Congrats on becoming a DIY. I am eager to see how the experience was for you as a whole.

Chris said...

Nice blog. I have a political blog you might like.

z said...

Hi Tee, Dewdrop chiming in (a.k.a DynamicRunner on YT). I know what you mean because when I had my SLs for 6 months and thought about taking a class, the only available class was 2 hours away, the consultant wasn't available until 1/2 a year later and she quoted me $400! Keep in mind that I had 8 weeks of new growth and badly needed to do something because I had a wedding to attend, and my big thick head of hair was ringing up $$$ that I couldn't dish out anymore.

I thought this was so ridiculous, so I became a DIYer. I joined my locs to start my own microlocks and taught myself how to tighten my new growth by following written instructions on NP.com. My initial plan was to go to my consultant for at least a year and then take a class, but had I known that this wouldn't be the case then I would have started my locs myself from the beginning.




it's starting to look much better the more I do it