Saturday, October 4, 2008

Still thinking...

So I had my sisterlocks consultaion yesterday. When I arrived she was actually starting to retighten a clients hair. It was what I expected I guess. I asked some questions and she answered them. She did a couple test locks and informed me that she would be able to do the locking technique on the entire length of my hair, but it would be stringy-looking on the ends. That's kind of discouraging. It doesn't make me reconsider, just makes me think about maybe doing a big chop and just starting with all my natural hair. The only thing about that is it would be really short for a while. But my hair grows at a nice speed so it probably wouldn't be that bad. UGGHHHH!!! I know I'm being really indecisive, but after all it is permanent.

I talked to my cousin Sophia yesterday also. She has had locks for over a year now. I think locks were the perfect choice for her because unlike me she does not enjoy styling her hair. In fact, she hates it. When we talked, she made me feel better about my indecisiveness. "Remember I went back and forth for a couple years before actually getting it done?" she reminded me. Now she's really happy about it. She says it's the best thing she's ever done for her hair. That's pretty reassuring.

Alot of my uncertainty comes from the difference in the way peoples hair looks. I see some women who have beautiful sisterlocks and I think I want my hair like that. But then I see some women who's hair looks a fuzzy mess and can't help but wonder, "what happened there?" I guess in the end I am terrified of becoming one of these women. And as Paulette(the SL consultant) reminded me yesterday, no one can guarantee how your hair will come out. It will do what it wants to do and you just have to wait and see. I would really hate to invest all this time and money into my hair only to have it come out looking a mess and wind up wanting to cut it again. That would suck!!

With all that said, I am still very much leaning towards getting sisterlocks. I told my husband about my consultation yesterday and he was like "I think you should get them,"
I was like really? He was like, "yeah so what if you wind up not liking it, just cut it off and start over-you only live once right?" Typical male response, I guess hair isn't as important to a man. But overall he's right. I should stop being a wimp and just do it. I will talk to my other cousin Tiff who had locks for years. I mean they were down her back. I use the past tense because she just recently chopped them off. But they were so pretty. It would be interesting to get her perspective. I'll post later-pray for me y'all.

3 comments:

CarmenNC said...

Hello, your consultant is right hair texture determines how your locks will turn out. If your hair frizzes quickly in plaits or braids then it will do the same in Sisterlocks. My hair frizzes a lot and I never find it beautiful. If it frizzes or stays smooth, Sisterlocks are so unique and lovely that all textures will get compliments. Also once your locks mature you can have them groomed to remove frizz.

Tawanna said...

Good luck on your locks! I'm on the journey of growing enough natural hair to get them too. Like your cousin I went back and forth on it too. I've finally made a decision and I can't wait to get them. Don't forget to post pics when you get them! Btw I used to live in a city named Belleville, but it was in Illnois!

Kicukalah said...

Your locks look great! How many inches did your start with and how long did it take? I've started my hair journey in December (not sisterlocks) and find it very interesting to hear other people stories.




it's starting to look much better the more I do it